Guide for effective testing and tagging
Before we get to the topic, let’s understand what testing and tagging is all about. So testing and tagging is the name given to the procedure of checking the safety of portable electrical appliances. Testing and Tagging is basically done in two parts. The first part is visually assessing the appliance to detect any damage. The second part is electrically testing the portable electric appliance with a Portable Appliance Tester. Testing and Tagging is done before releasing a product in the market after manufacturing it. Now you might have this question in your mind, that what is the need for testing and tagging when the products are manufactured with utmost care. Well, the answer is that the chances of the products getting damaged after manufacturing are way too high in the industries. This is why testing and tagging is a must before proceeding.
Let’s get some ideas about the procedure in detail
As we mentioned the two steps earlier, the products first go through the first two steps of assessing any damage by visualizing it and then getting tested by portable appliance tester. After the first two steps are done, the product is placed with a tag declaring that it has been tested successfully. It also mentions the name of the person who tested it also, the date when it was tested. They also have to mention when the next test is due on the tag.
What is the primary reason for getting testing and tagging done?
The factories need to ensure their worker’s safety before everything. Testing and tagging are primarily done to ensure the workers get a safe environment to work at. It is done to ensure that the workers do not have to get in contact with a faulty appliance, or else this would lead them to get electrical shocks and getting exposed to other electrical hazards.
What kind of products need to undergo testing and tagging?
Industries like construction, demolition and mining are the ones that need to have their appliances tested and tagged after every three months to ensure the safety of their workers. The harsh nature of these industries makes their equipment prone to damage very easily which poses a threat to the safety of their workers and makes the workplace not suitable to work at. This is why it is a must for these industries to have their equipment tested and tagged every three months.
Coming to the topic now, let’s talk about the guide to effective Testing and Tagging.
- First, you have to visually detect any damage in the product and then get it tested by using a Portable Appliance Tester. Then put a pass label only if the equipment meets all the requirements.
- Make sure that the testing is done by experienced and well-skilled technicians who know their job very well. There is no chance of letting any mistakes happen here, so make sure the person who does testing is well experienced and knows what he is doing. The person does not need to be highly qualified. He just needs to have extensive knowledge and experience about what he is doing. After the testing has been done, it has to meet the requirements to fulfill police clearances too. It must make sure to show healthy and safe records for police clearances.
- The companies have to make safety their priority. Testing and tagging are not just about showing safe and healthy records. Its priority is to have a safe work environment for its workers. So the companies must check if their record is genuine or not.
- After the procedure gets done, the results are stored in the extensive database as a record. It can be stored in CD or in any other format you like. Details of the record must include Asset Number, Site, Location, Description of appliance, Date Tested, Type of Tests carried out, Retest Date and lastly The Test Results that you get. Storing the records safely gives you the scope to use this information when any mishap happens. You get this stored as a proof which you can show in case any mishap happens and you are blamed falsely.
- If while testing, the tester finds any hazard it damages if the equipment he has to immediately report about it or else it may pose a threat to everyone’s life. It is always advisable not to repair the already faulty equipment because this can bring the life of the person repairing to grave danger. So always go for a new one until the client wants to get the faulty equipment repaired. Also, the appliances that fail to meet the standards must be immediately given a tag labeled danger to prevent further use to have a healthy work environment for the workers.